In the Facebook Group someone wanted a basic sermon construction formula.
This is not the end all be all and hopefully you will move on from this to a full homiletic, but we all have to start somewhere…
In this formula the sermon is essentially 3 Biblical Answers to a Question that you have formulated.
So this is what you can do:
1) Read the text to the best of your ability deeply to get an idea of what the scripture is about.
2) Find a question that the text seems to be answering. How many answers are provided? 2, 3, 4, 1? Write down the answers.
As I read the text the basic question seems to be (How are we to live in light of our current circumstances)
The scripture provides three answers 1) Wake Up from our sleep….2) Throw off darkness and evil….3) put on Jesus Christ…
3) Take each answer and expand it
OK….there you have 3 answers to the one question….Now for each answer do 4 things…Tell me exactly what you mean…what does it mean to wak up from sleep? tell me what that means….then give me an illustration of waking up….do you have a story from your life of waking up..metaphorically or even literally….it can be helpful….show me how you derived it from the scripture and where….tell me the text…and finally celebrate that point if applicable..
4) Add a celebration to the end of the sermon. Celebrate the answer.
In the sermon example I celebrate that I am waking up because I have things to do. Then I have an appeal of won’t you get up with me.
5) Construct a title that is related to the question
This title is taken directly from the wording of the scripture.
Hope that helps…Let me know if I need to clarify or expand…
P.S. If you ain’t got the Four Waves of Biblical Exegesis white paper, go head on over and check it out now at https://gumroad.com/products/okfy
P.S.S. – My homiletic can be found at http://superchargeyoursermons.net